A student who intends to complete a Divisional AOC in “Humanities” will meet the following requirements:
1. The student should demonstrate the ability to read, think, communicate, create and perform in the humanities through successful completion of one or more undertakings in each of the following fields:
2. The student should explore diverse approaches to the humanities through successful completion of at least one undertaking in each of the following areas (examples in parentheses are meant as suggestions, not as prescriptions):
3. The student should complete from 10-12 term-length activities in the humanities. Transfer students should discuss their coursework from other institutions with a faculty member in the humanities in order to determine if fewer than 10 courses at New College in this area would be appropriate.
4. The student should study a foreign language (modern or classical) that is related to his or her special interest in the humanities. Students will be required to successfully complete at least one course in a foreign language sequence at New College, at the intermediate level (third semester) or above. A course or tutorial studying literature in the original language fulfils this requirement.
5. Students who declare a Humanities AOC during their fifth contract are encouraged when possible to create a pre-thesis ISP that designs a plan to complete a thesis or thesis project in the humanities, to develop the Thesis Proposal, and consider the appropriate work for the 6th, 7th, and 8th contracts.
6. The student’s senior project should involve work in one or more of the disciplines in the division. The form and content of senior projects [thesis-monograph, creative project, or “academic portfolio”] will be defined in close collaboration with the academic sponsor and with the approval of the baccalaureate committee.
Faculty in Humanities
Academic Learning Compacts