Congratulations on your decision to join our the New College of Florida campus community! We are excited to welcome you. The Advocacy and Accessible Learning Center is here to provide resources and support to aid in the transition to New College.  Our staff works in partnership with faculty, staff, and students to ensure that all aspects of student life are accessible, equitable, and inclusive of individuals with disabilities.

Differences Between Accommodations in High School and College

Differences between high school and college disability services begin upon enrollment at college.  It is the student’s responsibility to self identity to the Advocacy and Accessible Learning Center office in the event they would like to establish reasonable accommodations.  The student is responsible for their accommodations.  In the AALC office, we look forward to working with you to navigate reasonable accommodations for access.

Some key differences between high school and college:

  • Applicable laws in high school are through I.D.E.A and the applicable laws for colleges is the ADA, Section 504, and the ADA Amendments Act.
    • I.D.E.A. promotes success while ADA, 504 and the ADA Amendments Act promotes access.
  • The high school must coordinate all aspects of the services, unlike college, where a student must work with AALC to coordinate services.
    • At the college level, this looks like a student contacting AALC to coordinate testing in a different location.  Self advocacy is key!

Commonly Requested Accommodations


  • Classroom accommodations (breaks in the classroom, notetaking assistance)
  • Testing accommodations (extended time on tests, alternative testing location)
  • Interpreting services


  • First-floor rooms
  • Strobe light in room
  • Access to kitchen

Emotional Support Animal (ESAs)

  • Ability to reside with an approved support animal in on-campus housing
  • Emotional Support Animal (ESA) accommodation requests must be submitted more than ten business days before your arrival to campus.  If a request is submitted less than ten business days before your arrival or during a semester, please contact the Associate Director of AALC to discuss your options.


  • Meal plan modifications
  • Dietary accommodation requests for Spring 2022 must be submitted with reliable third party documentation by Friday February 4th at 5pm. Info for Fall 2022 will be available soon.


To determine eligibility, please review the Eligibility & Registration for Services section of the AALC web page.  Students may also self-identify to their faculty advisor and ask to be referred to AALC.

Applying for disability services and/or accommodations involves the student doing two things:

  1. Complete the Disclosure of Disability Form (please ensure you are logged into your NCF portal when completing).
  2. Submit supporting disability documentation via fax at 941-487-4517 or upload and email to AALC at  In order to know what type of documentation is needed, please review our Disability Documentation Guidelines.

After this information is received, an AALC counselor will contact you by phone or email about the next steps. If you are unsure whether you qualify for disability services and/or accommodations, you can indicate that on your registration form and an AALC counselor will follow up with you to provide more information about eligibility for disability services.

Disability Documentation Guidelines vary depending on the type of disability. Current and comprehensive documentation is needed to determine not only a student’s eligibility to receive accommodations but also, their current levels of functioning.

Please review our Disability Documentation Guidelines for more details.

We encourage all students with disabilities to register with AALC.

NCF is committed to creating a campus community that is inclusive of all aspects of diversity and identity, including disability identity. AALC serves as a resource to all students who have a disability. By registering with AALC, you may allow yourself resources and opportunities that may be beneficial to you, whether you utilize accommodations/services or not. When you complete the Disclosure of Disability Form, you can indicate that you are not requesting any services or accommodations at this time.

This frequently happens. At NCF, when students ask for modifications to policies in the course or housing for a medical condition, the requests must be facilitated through AALC. It is also possible you may not realize until you get to campus and start engaging with classes and moving around the campus that you need something. That is okay, as well. You can register with AALC at any point while you are registered at NCF.

No. NCF does not have services for LD or ADHD evaluations. Students need to submit current and comprehensive evaluations when requesting disability services. Please review our Disability Documentation Guidelines for more information about what is required.

AALC keeps documentation and information on registration status in a secure location. When sharing information with faculty and campus partners involved in the provision of accommodations, our focus is on the accommodation you need for equal access, not on the disability.

Regardless of whether you’ve turned 18 when entering college, your IEP or 504 plans will end when you complete high school and begin college. Both IEPs and 504s are handled through the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), while disability accommodations in college are handled through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as well as successive amendments to those laws). What that means is that you won’t continue to have regular, frequent meetings. like what might have occurred in high school. However, your IEP and 504 paperwork still counts as documentation of disability for accommodations in college, and you will meet with someone in AALC at least one time each semester. Your IEP and 504 documents also can serve as a guide for AALC to connect you with beneficial resources, such as the Writing Resource Center, Quantitative Resource Center, or Student Success and Advocacy Programs and their student tutors and coaches. Documentation from your IEP or 504 also can help with referrals for equipment or auxiliary aids designed to improve accessibility to your education, various campus support groups, case management services, or outside community resources.

The purpose of financial aid is to help students and families meet educational expenses that cannot be met through their own resources. Financial aid can be either need-based or non-need-based. The results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) along with the cost of education will determine whether or not a student has financial need. Costs related to disabling conditions may affect your financial need but having a disability does not qualify a student automatically for financial aid.

We encourage students to visit the website for the Johnson Scholarship Foundation.

Questions? Contact Us

Advocacy and Accessible Learning Center

Phone Number