The primary mission of the New College of Florida Physical Plant is to maintain a safe, clean, attractive environment for our students to learn and live in. Our responsibility is immense and varied, consisting of 54 different buildings dating back to 1926, 618,0000 square feet of buildings and 110 acres of grounds. The department consists of four basic areas with different responsibilities:
- Custodial: daily routine cleaning, trash removal, floor care.
- Grounds: keeping the grounds picked up from debris, mowing trimming, landscaping projects.
- Maintenance: repair to plumbing systems, electrical, utility systems, light bulb replacement, carpentry, HVAC, building envelope, roof systems, fire alarm, security and emergency evacuation systems.
In order to maintain this size of campus takes 40 full-time employees of dedicated staff providing services 24/7 responding to the many needs of the campus.
As a department of this size, we utilize data-driven processes of continuous process improvement. The department is continuously exploring new opportunities to improve its service with lower cost by improving efficiency.
Requests for Service
All nonemergency work may be submitted via School Dude Help Desk application, by fax at 941-487-4239 or campus mail. Resident students are encouraged to submit work requests via our online work request system; please make sure to check “housing” box. Read more Information on Work Orders (MyNCF login required).
All calls for emergency service (situations that are life-threatening or likely to cause severe damage to a college building or facility) should be called in immediately. At night, during weekends or holidays, call the Campus Police at 941-487-4210.
Routine Preventive Maintenance
The Physical Plant Department is allocated an annual Education and General (E&G) budget for the maintenance of the University’s E&G buildings, grounds and utilities. This money is used for campus maintenance, repairs and in-kind replacements. It is not used for new construction, expansion, renovation or facility alterations.
The Physical Plant manages a routine inspection and preventive maintenance program (which includes computer-generated work orders) for major building systems, including lighting, plumbing, pumping, and environmental systems. This program reduces the number of maintenance requests significantly. However, departments can report any work they feel needs to be done.
For high profile items, or if you are not sure who in Physical Plant needs to be contacted, contact Alan or Curtis.
- Alan Burr: Assistant Vice President, Facilities Management
- Curtis Davis: Associate Director, Physical Plant
- Linda Ranker: Assistant Director, Facilities Management, Administrative Services
- Mary Herman: Facilities Management Office Manager
Specific Points of Contact
Contact the following people for specific projects or requests related to their job.
- Sheila Foley: Custodial Coordinator
- Point of contact for cleaning and trash services and immediate related needs. You can also make a work request through our work request system to make cleaning and trash related requests.
- Seni Ok: Maintenance Coordinator
- Point of contact for maintenance related requests and emergencies. You can also make a work request through our work request system in School Dude to make maintenance requests.
- Ken Harris: Landscape & Grounds Coordinator
- Point of contact for all landscape & grounds related requests and emergencies. Work requests can be made through the School Dude work request system.