M.Sc., Ph.D., Sofia University
Mariana Sendova is a faculty member at New College of Florida since August 2000. She started the College’s first experimental physics research laboratory and has been successful in attracting outside funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF), Collaboration in Basic Science and Engineering (COBASE), the Department of Education, and the Army Research Laboratory (ARL).
In the spring of 2009, Sendova became the first female full professor of physics at New College of Florida since its inception in 1960. She has active ongoing national and international collaborations with The French National Research Center, Orsay, France; Max-Planck Institute for Microstructure Physics, Halle, Germany; The Central Laboratory of Solar Energy, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Bulgaria; University Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France; University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, and The Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Sendova has successfully solved interesting scientific problems in different areas of applied physics, material science, nanotechnology, spectroscopy, and biophysics. She has two patents and more than 88 publications in renowned and diverse peer reviewed journals such as Journal of Applied Physics; Journal of Raman Spectroscopy; Applied Physics A; Applied Physics Letters; Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology; Journal of Biochemistry; J. of Molecular Catalysis; Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology; Japanese Journal of Applied Physic, and Archaeometry. Professor Sendova holds two US Patents.
As a teacher, Sendova strongly encourages her students to work on real-life research projects in her laboratory. Many of her students have received national awards and actively participate in her international collaborative projects. Sendova’s students regularly present their findings at international science research conferences. After graduating from New College, most of them are accepted as Ph.D. students in physics and engineering in high ranking universities such as Columbia, Cornell, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin, Penn State, SUNY at Albany, University of Texas, etc.
Solid State Physics
Seeing the Light
- Mancini*, M. Sendova, J.C. Mauro, Geometric analysis of the calorimetric glass transition and fragility using constant cooling rate cycles, Int. J. Appl. Glass Sci. 12 (2021) 348.
- Sendova, M. Mancini* and J. Jiménez, Rapid Plasmonic Transition of Silver- Doped Glass, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-021-10967-0
- Sendova, J. Jiménez, Band gap analysis and correlation with glass structure in phosphate glasses melted with various allotropes of carbon, Chemical Physics 547, 111207 (2021)
- Jiménez, M. Sendova Nano-diamond-induced UV transparency in phosphate glasses and development of plasmonic Cu nanocomposites, J. of Non-Crystalline Solids 544, 120193 (2020).
- Sendova and M. Mancini*, Direct Surface Area Measurement from Digital Images via Brightness Histogram Method, Meas. Sci. Technol 31, 105602 (2020).
- Sendova, Surface Kinetics Analysis by Direct Area Measurement: Laser Assisted Dehydration of a-FeOOH, AIP Advances, 9, 075101 (2019)
- Sendova and J. Jiménez, Synergistic thermo‐Raman and calorimetric kinetic study of the cation modifier’s role in binary metaphosphate glasses, J. of Raman Spectroscopy 49, 1522 – 1528, (2018)
- Jiménez and M. Sendova, UV-sensitized Sm3+ visible and near-IR photoluminescence in phosphate glass melted with multi-wall carbon nanotubes, J. of Non-Crystalline Solids 498, 455-460, (2018)
- Sendova, B. Hosterman, A. Grebe*, In-situ Isothermal Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Reveals the Activation Energy of Dehydration in a-FeOOH, J. of Raman Spectroscopy, 48, 618-622 (2017).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, E. R. Fachini, Ch. Zhao, Multi-wall carbon nanotubes as carbon source for enhanced UV transparency in phosphate glasses, J. of Materials Chemistry C, 4 9771-9778 (2016).
- Sendova J. A. Jiménez, Ch. Honaman*, Rare Earth-Dependent Trend of the Glass Transition Activation Energy of Doped Phosphate Glasses: Calorimetric Analysis, J. of Non-Crystalline Solids 450, 18–22 (2016).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova Catalyst role of Nd3+ ions for the precipitation of silver nanoparticles in glass, J. of Alloys and Compounds 691, 44-50 (2017).
- A. Jiménez, S. Lysenko, M. Sendova, Ch. Zhao, Excited-state dynamics and enhanced near-IR emission in Nd3+ structurally activated aluminophosphate glass containing silver and tin, Opt. Mater. 46, 88–92 (2015).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, Near-UV Sensitized 1.06 µm Emission of Nd3+ via Monovalent Copper in Phosphate Glass, Mater. Chem. and Phys. 162, 425-430, (2015).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, Ch. Zhao, Efficient energy transfer and enhanced near-IR emission in Cu+/Nd3+-activated aluminophosphate glass J. Amer. Cer. Soc, 98, 3087-3093, (2015).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova Near-IR photoluminescence of Pr/Cu/Sn tri-doped phosphate glass: Non-plasmonic material system versus plasmonic nanocomposite; J. of Electronic Mater. 44, 1175-1180 (2015).
- Sendova , J. A. Jiménez, R. Smith*, N. Rudawski, Kinetics of copper nanoparticle precipitation in phosphate glass: An isothermal plasmonic approach, Phys. Chem. and Chem. Phys. 17, 1241–1246 (2015).
- Gros, C., Peprah, M. Hosterman, B., Brinzari, T., Quintero, P., Sendova, M.; ,Meisel, M., Talham, D. Light-induced magnetization changes in a coordination polymer heterostructure of a Prussian blue analogue and a Hofmann-like Fe(II) spin crossover compound, Am. Chem. Soc. 136, 9846–9849 (2014).
- Sendova B. Hosterman, R. Raud*, T. Hartmann, D. Kouri, Temperature-dependent, micro-Raman spectroscopic study of barium titanate nanoparticles, J. of Raman Spectroscopy 46, 5–31 (2015).
- Sendova and B. Hosterman, Raman spectroscopic study of the size-dependent order parameter of barium titanate, J. Appl. Phys. 115, 214104-5 (2014).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, M. Puga-Lambers, Oxidation kinetics of plasmonic Ag particles in SiO2 nanofilms: Interlinking particle size to atmosphere–film–substrate system properties, J. of Phys. and Chem. of Solids 74, 1487–1491 (2013).
- Sendova, J. Jiménez, Plasmonic Coupling in Silver Nanocomposite Glasses, J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 17764−17772 (2012).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, In Situ Isothermal Monitoring of the Enhancement and Quenching of Sm3+ Photoluminescence in Ag–Doped Glass, Solid State Communications 152, 1786-1790 (2012).
- Chimowa, M. Sendova, E. Flahaut, D. Churochkin, S. Bhattacharayya, Tuning the electrical transport properties of double-walled carbon nanotubes by semiconductor and semi-metal filling, J. Appl. Phys. 110, 123708 (2011).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, In situ optical microspectroscopy approach for the study of metal transport in dielectrics via temperature and time dependent plasmonics: Ag nanoparticles in SiO2 films, J. Chem. Phys., 134, 054707 (2011).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, T. Hartsfield*, M. Sendova-Vassileva, In situ optical microspectroscopy of the growth and oxidation of silver nanoparticles in silica thin films, Materials Research Bulletin 46 158–165 (2011).
- A. Jiménez, M. Sendova, H. Liu, Evolution of the optical properties of a silver-doped phosphate glass during thermal treatment, J. of Luminescence, 131 535–538 (2011).
- Sendova, E. Flahaut, and T. Hartsfield*, Temperature dependence of Raman scattering in filled double-walled carbon nanotubes, J. of Appl. Phys. 108, 044309, (2010).
- Sendova-Vassileva, M. Sendova, H. Hofmeister, J.C. Pivin, Interaction of laser radiation with gold nanoparticles in SiO2 thin films, J. Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials 11 1071, (2009)
- Sendova, L. Datas, E. Flahaut, Micro-Raman scattering of selenium-filled double-walled carbon nanotubes: temperature study, J. of Appl. Physics 105, 094312, (2009)
- Sendova, B. Kaiser, M. Scalera, V. Zhelyaskov, Della Robbia Blue glaze: micro-Raman temperature study and X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy characterization, J. of Raman Spectroscopy 41, 469, (2009)
- Sendova and E. Flahaut, Comparative micro-Raman spectroscopy study of tellurium-filled double-walled carbon nanotubes, J. Appl. Phys. 103, 024311 (2008).
- Sendova-Vassileva, M. Sendova, R. Ruther*, H. Hofmeister, J.C. Pivin, Laser modification of gold nanoparticles in silica thin films, In Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Heron Press, Sofia, Bulgaria (2008)
- Sendova-Vassileva, M. Sendova, R. Ruther*, J. C. Pivin, Laser modification of silver and gold nanoparticles in dielectric thin films, Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, 9, 186 (2007).
- Sendova, V. Zhelyaskov, M. Scalera and C. Gulliford*, Micro-Raman spectroscopy of della Robbia glazes, Archaeometry 49, 655 (2007).
- Sendova, M. Sendova-Vassileva, J. C. Pivin, H. Hofmeister, K. Coffey, A. Warren, Comprehensive experimental study of laser radiation interaction with silver nanoparticles in SiO2 Matrix, J. of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 6, 748 (2006).
- Sendova, E. Flahaut, B. DeBono*, Raman spectroscopy of PbI2-filled double-walled carbon nanotubes, J. Appl. Phys. 98, 104304 (2005).
- Sendova, V. Zhelyaskov, M. Scalera, M. Ramsey*, Micro-Raman spectroscopy study of pottery fragments from the Lapatsa tomb: Cyprus ca. 2500 B.C., J. of Raman Spectroscopy 36, 829 (2005).
- Sendova, M. Sendova-Vassileva, J.C. Pivin , Laser assisted fragmentation of silver and copper nanoclusters in SiO2 thin films, In Nanostructured and Advanced Materials NATO-ASI, Sozopol, Bulgaria, 6-17 September 2004: NATO Science Series II: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry 82, J. M. Marshall and D. Dimova-Malinovska (Eds.), Springer 2005.
- Sendova-Vassileva, M. Sendova, A. Troutt*, Laser modification of silver nanoclusters in SiO2 thin films, Appl. Phys. A 81, 871 (2005).
- Sendova and K. Willis*, Spiral and curved periodic crack patterns in sol-gel films, Appl. Phys. A 76, 957, (2003).
- M M. Whittaker, C. A Ekberg, J. Peterson, M. S. Sendova, E. P. Day, J. W. Whittaker, Spectroscopic and magnetochemical studies on the active site copper complex in galactose oxidase of Molecular Catalysis B- Enzymatic 8, 3 (2000).
- Hiraoka, St. Latsch, M. Sendova, and C-H. Lee, Effects and applications of pulsed UV-Laser irradiation on polymer surfaces, J. of Photochemistry and Photobiology A92, 129 (1995).
- Hiraoka, M. Sendova, Laser induced Sub-Half Micron Linear Periodic Structure on Polymer Surfaces, Appl. Phys. Lett. 64, 563 (1994).
- Sendova, H. Hiraoka, Sub-half-micron Periodic Structures on Polymer Surfaces with Polarized Laser Irradiation Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32, 6182 (1993).
- Edmund P. Day and M. S. Sendova Saturation Magnetization of Metalloproteins In Research Frontiers in Magnetochemistry; Charles O’Conner Ed., World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore, 1993; 395.
- P. Day, J. Peterson, M. Sendova, Jon Schoonover, Graham Palmer, Magnetization of Fast and Slow Oxidized Cytochrome c Oxidase Biochemistry 32, 7855 (1993).
- P. Day, J. Peterson, M. Sendova, M. J. Todd and R. Hausinger, Saturation Magnetization of Ureases from Klebsiella Aerogenases and Jack Bean: No Evidence for Exchange Coupling Between the Two Active Site Nickel Ions in the Native Enzyme Inorganic Chemistry 32, 634 (1993).
- Sendova, M. Maksimov, and M. Gaskov, Auger Electron Spectroscopy of Laser Deposited Pb1-xCdxSe Films J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 7, 93 (1988).
- Baleva, P. Gergova, and M. Sendova, Photoconductivity of Laser Deposited Pb1-xCdxSe Films Infrared Phys. 28, 389 (1988).
- Baleva, M. Maksimov, and M. Sendova, Infrared Absorption of Laser Deposited PbSe Films J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys. 20, 941 (1987).
- Baleva, M. Maksimov, and M. Sendova, Energy Gap and Optical Dielectric Constant of Pb1-xCdxSe Films Infrared Phys. 27, 389 (1987).
- Sendova, Laser Assisted Deposition of Lead Salt Films J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 6, 285 (1987).
- Baleva, M. Maksimov, and M. Sendova, Optical and Electrical Properties of Laser Deposited Pb1-xCdxSe Films J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 5, 537 (1986).
*indicates student co-authors