THE CENTER FOR CAREER ENGAGEMENT AND Opportunity
The Center for Career Engagement and Opportunity (CEO) at New College of Florida is a robust, centralized department within the Division of Student Affairs. The CEO features services and resources which promote the core competencies of career readiness and reinforce career planning and development strategies for New College students and alums.
Career resources and services are provided to allow students the opportunity to become familiar with career exploration and career planning, to maximize the job or professional school search, preparing students to seek opportunities consistent with their career goals. Trained and nationally recognized professional staff, along with student career ambassadors, assist students throughout the process to encourage students to become acquainted with methods used in career planning.
The CEO team is committed to the success of our constituents: students, faculty, staff and employers. We have a relevant and compelling set of services to promote student success while the student is enrolled at New College and post graduation. Services and resources offered include:
- Career education
- Career advising services
- Employment opportunity listing
- Internship engagement
- Career skills and career readiness education
- National fellowships and student research opportunities; assisting college-level students with applications for an array of nationally competitive, merit-based scholarships
- Graduate school advising and assistance with preparation
- Career events
- Student Career Competency Program
- Student Research and Travel Grant Program opportunities
Handshake Available to Students and Employers Now
HANDSHAKE, the Career Management Portal
- Handshake is an online career management portal designed to provide students and employers the opportunity to interface to find jobs, internships and networking opportunities.
- Students can view relevant jobs and internships in an easy-to-use application which includes a wide variety of employers located all over the country.
- Students have a profile equipped with materials highlighting their career readiness so employers can interact with and recruit students for jobs.
- Students tailor their profile and customize their interests so they can easily engage in a meaningful job search process.
- Students can easily network with employers, apply for jobs and internships, secure interviews and make valuable connections using this resource.
- Students can easily schedule appointments with the CEO staff.
resume template, Candid Careers, Focus2 Career Self-Assessment and Career Materials
- A Resume Template is available here for students to create a compelling resume. Resume tips are also included in this nine-page guide.
- Our Career Readiness Initiative means we offer services to meet the needs of the contemporary college student.
- We use a Career Ready video channel in response to the skills gap identified by employers.
- We use Focus2, an industry leader for career services.
internships start here
- Identify possible internships. Ask your contract sponsor, other faculty, CEO advisors, and search on HANDSHAKE for internships.
- Visit the CEO for help creating or reviewing your resume and the internship application documents.
- Register your internship. Download the packet of Internship Documents here.
- Make sure you submit completed documents to the CEO office and add the internship to your Contract.
- You’re on the way to a successful experiential learning adventure!
- Any questions, call, email or visit the CEO.
Employer Resources are available here.
Feel free to visit the CEO, located at LBR 154 on the north side of the Jane Bancroft Cook Library next to the walkway to east campus. You may also reach us via email or telephone, 941-487-5002. Students, please log in to Handshake to make an appointment.
Please follow the CEO on social media @CareerCenterNCF.