

NCAA Board Meeting

12.06.2021, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Start Time: 5:05 p.m.

Present: John Connelly, Dan Stults, Ben Brown, Eric Gottshall, Kati Baruja, Oliver Peckham, Miles Iton, Glenn Whitehouse, Ben Stork, Bob Freedman, Wesley Beggs, Chad Bickerton, Bob Watts, Chelsea Hall, Doug Christy

Absent: Leslie Reinherz, Maia Hinkle, Rachel Scherer

Staff & Guests Present: Kathleen McCoy, Freddie O'Brion, MaryAnne Young, John Lentini, Ginger Lyon

Dan: Welcome. I want to thank everyone for the work you are doing on committees or on your own. We are making real progress. Does anyone have comments on the minutes from the last meeting?

Motion to approve the October 2 minutes ; so moved ; approved?

Unanimous approval. The motion passed.

Dan: I want to review each of the work teams. You were asked to create a written description of your team's goals and share updates on your deliverable, timeline, and action plan. Oliver will start.

Oliver: The survey team has substantive updates. There will be an email going out to alumni with a year-end recap about the work we have been doing. This summary is narrative, with statistics included. It will be digestible, but we will offer access to more information. We still need to incorporate a few notes about the analytics work that was done. Otherwise, it is good to go.

Dan: Do you have a timeline?

Oliver: We are planning to meet again in the next few weeks or in early January.

Dan: Can you have a deliverable by January 15th?

Oliver: Yes.

Dan: We need to implement milestones for teams to check in on deliverables. This will hopefully make us more effective. Now Kathleen and Ben Stork will talk about Reunion.

Kathleen: We have tied down contracts, suppliers, food vendors, tents, musicians, DJs. We are working on the design of a t-shirt. We hope to have the first version from Freddie this week. We will be sounding out some emails to advertise the discounted price for recent alumni. We want to encourage young alumni to attend. We will also have a special cocktail party for the anniversary class that will be hosted by some alumni from that generation.

Ben S: I have reached out to some emeritus professors to attend and do a meet and greet. On the Daimon, there was some flak about the anonymity of donations. I deflected that by deploying the spotify playlist. Anyone can add songs to it, so please take part and reshare it in your friend groups. I have had a few people ask about what happens if they are too broke for a ticket. Will we kick people off campus if they do not have tickets?

MaryAnne: In the past, we have funded tickets for people who couldn't afford them. To protect their anonymity, they would email Leslie if they needed financial support. Last time, we had maybe eight or ten people that needed assistance. I would recommend we use the same system and decide who those emails should go to.

Kathleen: Ben, you can work with me on that.

Dan: Now we will hear from the Governance team.

Bob F: We had a meeting with most of the group. We clarified the main role of governance which is set out by the bylaws. Doug is new to the committee, so we went over the essential roles. Our main job is running the elections and vetting candidates. We also handle any questions that come up, and bring relevant ones to the executive committee or the board. Ben and I have also been chipping away at amendments to the bylaws. We have discussed the topic of honorary board members. This has been controversial in the past. There are many ways to get interested people involved without raising issues. We could not think of many other things that governance should be doing.

Dan: Regarding descriptions of committees, I would love to be able to share everything we can with people applying to the board. We owe it to applicants to share what the board is working on and what our goals are. Many of these teams will continue over time. If we have descriptions of board activities, then there will be more incentive and opportunity for people to opt in.

Ben B: I think that is a great idea. We do have a mechanism for non-board members to participate in committees as well.

Dan: I agree. Please put together a description of the governance committee so we can share it in the call for applications. Mid-January is a good target date.

Bob F: Someone will do it. It is on my list.

Doug: I could also work on it. We also discussed at our meeting getting information from applicants about what they are interested in doing on the board.

Dan: That is a great segue into 'Invigorate the Board'. In your packet is a description of the working team. One of the key things we said at the beginning is that we need a better idea of what board members want to do. We worked on a short questionnaire and Miles put it into a web survey. Miles can show everyone what he worked on by sharing his screen.

Miles: We put questions about our board member needs and wants into this form. It is easier than filling out a survey on Word. It is a pretty short questionnaire.

Dan: The idea was that we would ask people what they were interested in accomplishing and if the board was the best place to do that. It allows you and prospective board members to help us determine the best ways to make use of our time and energy.

Chelsea: What will we do with the results of this survey?

Dan: I would like to know how you all would like to use it. The main goal is to better utilize people in the way they want to be utilized.

Bob W: Getting at what people bring from elsewhere is important. I am on the board of a major Jewish organization that does a lot of similar work to us. I bring a lot of that experience over. There should be a chance to talk about their experiences. We need to tap into those skills and resources.

Dan: Great point. We do not have an open-ended question. That was an oversight on our part.

Ben B: I read the 'Invigorate the Board' write-up. The honorary board member idea was interesting. The bylaws say that the majority of board members should be elected. Because of the controversy in the past, if we are going to have an active recruitment campaign, the governance committee should look into that. When I read the part about diversity on the board, it made me think about the accessibility of the board. In 2019, someone offered to find travel to board meetings. That sort of thing could make the board more accessible and more diverse.

Dan: I agree. This is why dialogue is important. Thank you Ben. Miles, do you have any ideas about that open-ended question?

Miles: I was thinking something very general.

Dan: Maybe something like 'what other skills do you have'? Bob for example knows his skills and experiences. Something in that realm. Once you add it, please circulate it to us.

Glenn: Maybe something like 'skills and relevant experiences'? That could be a good way to help us identify and address skills people don't even realize they have.

Bob W: This question will open it up a lot.

Dan: Other comments? We will now move on to social ambassadors.

Bob W: I have not done much on social ambassadors. I would like to meet with the other ambassadors and staff to discuss our plan. I have a lot of experiences with this. I need to know what we are doing. It would be good to meet in early January.

Kathleen: That would be great. I can also reach out to you on an individual basis. We will be doing that soon. We are working on Novo Volunteers which aligns with this. We have our year-end coming up and will be asking people to help us with that. We also have the Mandeville event coming up which many of you shared. We have good numbers on that.

Bob W: I would like to discuss the nuts and bolts. What platforms are you using? What is your audience like? I had a great experience reaching out to people on Thankful Tuesday. The personal connection is important.

John: I was hoping Dr. Okker would be coming to more meetings. I would like to have more access to her. I spoke with her at the ribbon cutting and the MOD event, which was a great event. I want to loop her in on more stuff. Don O'Shea was always around. I would like to see her more. Maybe we could loop her in on the social ambassador program. We could do a fireside chat sort of thing. I have already reached out to her about my college president. I want to see how I can bother her more.

MaryAnne: It is not a bother. She intends to be at every major alumni board meeting. She will be at Mandeville. She loves meeting with you and talking to you. We could do a fireside chat on Zoom.

John: I was thinking more like a Facebook Live. Social media is more open than Zoom. I want to do short videos that we upload from campus. I am within walking distance, so I can do these videos. We could bring something fresh and new.

MaryAnne: I am happy to talk to her about this. She is game, it is just about getting things on her schedule.

Dan: John, I recommend following up with MaryAnne. You may want to jot down your ideas so she can look it over beforehand. We are running a little long, so I will skip on to bylaws since we do not know much about enrollment.

Bob F: Not a lot to say about bylaws at this moment. We are doing edits on everything from modifying gendered language to changing the in-person attendance requirement.

Ben B: The rest is working on internal language and consistency. The work is mostly done.

Bob F: Regarding the honorary board members, you could have a situation with a contested election where not every applicant made it. If you appoint people who did not run, it could cause some issues.

Dan: Great point. We do have a section in our bylaws that allows us to recruit alumni into our work. My one quick final thing is that we are doing better with our process. I like that we are working and creating deliverables. We have not yet assigned a particular individual to be the speaker of the facilitator of each group. We want to make sure that the work is being done and we need to have accountability. My proposal is that for each working team, we need to have a named facilitator who will commit to deliverables and dates.

Bob F: Accountability is huge.

John: Is there a way to integrate a timeline or schedule? That would help me.

Dan: Let's think about that. Maybe the best way is to use the minutes to remind people. A calendar would be a lot of upkeep.

Kathleen: Board elections are coming up. We have six members who are due for reelection in February. We can connect to talk about what we need to do. I am working with IT and Communications to make sure the platform is up.

Dan: Any new business?

Ben: I would like to volunteer to do work on enrollment.

Dan: That is on hold because we have a new person/

MaryAnne: We have an new interim vice president for enrollment. He started very recently. I can send you details about his accomplishments.

Dan: We need to hear from him about whether he is interested in working with us. It would be great to have people around the country working on this. I want to move on and thank everyone who could attend Clambake. The Foundation raised over half a million dollars and broke their record. There was no auction. People got up and raised their hands just to donate. Alumni were so important at this event. Next year, some people here will be very involved with Clambake.

MaryAnne: I hope this is okay to share. Doug Christy and his wife will be Clambake co-chairs next year. We are a;; excited to work with Doug.

Dan: We will have alumni co-chairs. We have to do our job to recruit alumni to attend next year.

Kathleen: If you are local, please let me know if you are coming to Mandeville.

Eric: I wanted to mention that the SRTG went very well. Most applications were fully funded. It was a successful program.

Dan: That is great to hear.

Motion to adjourn the meeting ; so moved ; approved?

Unanimous approval. The motion passed.