

NCAA Board Meeting

10.02.2021, 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Start Time: 12:05 p.m.

Present: Dan Stults, John Connelly, Oliver Peckham, Douglas Christy, Kati Baruja, Bob Freedman, Maia Hinkle, Ben Brown, Miles Iton, Wesley Beggs, Bob Watts, Glenn Whitehouse, Chad Bickerton, Rachel Scherer, Ben Stork, Eric Gottshall, Leslie Reinherz

Absent: Chelsea Hall

Staff & Guests Present: Kathleen McCoy, Kevin Hughes, Freddie O’Brion, Declan Sheehy, MaryAnne Young

Dan: Thank you all for being here. The focus of this meeting is the work we want to do going forward. We will also get some updates from MaryAnne and Kevin. We want to discuss work teams, their goals, whether there are any that shouldn’t continue, and as if anyone would like to opt in or opt out of a team. Are there any changes or additions to the minutes from the last meeting?

Motion to approve the August 14 minutes ; so moved ; approved?

Unanimous approval. The motion passed.

Let’s take a look at the NCAA Action Plan. If you do not like the content or the wording, let me know so that we can modify it. It may not be perfect, but it is a good starting point. A year ago the tagline was ‘What are we going to do in the year ahead?’. This year, we want to focus on alumni engagement and telling our stories. We have a goal of 100% participation in the mentorship network. If you have not joined at ncf.wisr.io I encourage you to do so. Kati and Bob will be taking part in a career day soon. There will also be a more involved program this year with about 25 students. I will be participating and I hope the student and I will get something out of it. We have many members who are active on social media. This is a good way to get out messages about our activities. I want to discuss internal enabling factors - helping the executive committee understand how you want to contribute. Joining work teams, establishing goals, and deciding timelines is important. We also need to agree on how to identify and engage the next set of potential board members. Work groups- let us know if you want to join or be taken off of a team. Governance is Bob Freedman, Chad Bickerton, and Ben Brown.

Doug: I would like to join.

Dan: Reunion is Leslie Reinherz, Ben Stork, Bob Watts, John Connelly, Kati Baruja, Eric Gottshall, and Maia Hinkle.

Rachel: I would like to join.

Dan: For other people who will be at the event, you will still work with Kathleen.

Leslie: It is early to discuss specifics. I will be in touch soon. A lot of the work happens right before and during the event.

John: I have a reunion proposal to make later based on our end-of-year fundraising.

Dan: Survey. This is the team we have most questions about. We fielded a survey and have data. As a group, what do you want to accomplish with this?

Oliver: I have had a hectic life, but I would like to pick back up the momentum. The survey has a lot of responses and good information. It is a bit overwhelming to comb through as a small group, so Leslie and I could use a hand.

Maia: I volunteer

Rachel: I am volunteering as well

Leslie: This is not intensive work, but we would like to have more people on it soon. The survey went out in April but we have not been able to meet. We also want to distribute more surveys. We need to take a look at the data. And then we need to determine how to present it to alumni and do another survey based on the responses we receive. The goal of the committee is to improve the way we relate to alumni and improve communication.

Bob W: I can help

Dan: Oliver, please organize a meeting with everyone who is involved in this, then let us know your timeline, plan, and deliverables. Do you have a time estimate?

Oliver: I feel that if we have a planning meeting, divvy up the work, have another meeting or two over the course of a month, we can deliver some results.

Rachel: I was bummed that we were asking the question of whether we should continue this work. It is important work. We should evaluate how to make our survey efforts more bite-sized and incremental.

Oliver: We wanted to get a baseline with qualitative data, but in the future we hope to have more multiple-choice surveys.

Ben B: I am interested in working on our comment process for members to make comments for us to consider. I could make a form for individuals to submit comments to be considered at meetings and added to the agenda. Are you interested in this? How could we fit it in?

Dan: What unmet need are you asking about? What is the need of the alumni this would address?

Ben B: I am motivated to increase participation. I think the desire is out there. It is the kind of thing that would be improved by noticing meetings farther in advance, sending the agenda sooner, using social media more skillfully, and making it clear we want to hear from people. We could make the process to talk to us more approachable. Having a form for people to fill out would make it easier for people to be involved.

Dan: I agree that it would be great to have more engagement from alumni. What value are we creating by answering alumni questions? How can we maximize engagement? We are committed to activities like reunion, the mentorship network, the survey. What do other people think?

Bob W: I think it is worth considering. Surveys and reunions are bigger, less integrated. This is a stilted approach. For alumni who have more pressing concerns, it could be a useful tool to interact in a more timely manner. Facebook discussions can go off the rails. It would be good to follow up with Ben's suggestion to have more fluid conversations with alumni. Where do alumni go to ask questions? They might feel better talking to other alumni.

Oliver: So much of what we do is grease the slide for alumni engagement. Alumni might have good ideas that they share on social media, but helping people share those ideas can help with communication. An easy comment form is a great idea. It could yield a lot of engagement from cool alumni.

Maia: We could combine these ideas by posting the survey and direct people to put their questions and information there.

Dan: Do people want to establish a work team?

Leslie: We should have a committee to identify the ways we can respond to alumni. I wish we had the survey results.

Oliver: That is an astute point Leslie. Ben, I think we should meet together through the survey committee to discuss this.

Ben B: That sounds great.

John: Could the survey team comb through the data and use that to create an insta-poll? And use them every few weeks throughout the year?

Oliver: The goal of the first survey was to get qualitative data to help design shorter, rapid response surveys in the future.

Kathleen: We also have a lot of information in our current systems like Raiser's Edge and Constant Contact. We get some questions in our alumni email. We have so much data already.

Ben B: I do not need to be an official member of the work group, but I'd be glad to come to one of the meetings.

Leslie: Regarding deliverables, Oliver, are you going to write a summary report for the executive committee?

Oliver: Yes, collaboratively.

Leslie: Since we are not meeting until March, I want to get things done before then.

Oliver: I want to have an achievable deliverable in the next two months. It would be great to have a third meeting based around our results.

Dan: Why don't we get the whole board together to discuss the first deliverable, which is a summary report of the survey?

Leslie: That sounds good.

Dan: For Invigorate the Board, we have proposed the executive committee take on this topic, which is what we can do to help the board be all that it can be. It could be a small survey to help identify your skills and preferences. We also need to think about how to get the next set of great board members. If we have clear skillset needs then we can try to recruit people. Marcia Crawley recommended we look at what other alumni associations are doing to determine best practices.

Bob F: My partner said the same thing. I keep wondering: what does the board do? What can I do? It would be good to develop descriptions of what the committees do.

Glenn: I would be interested in joining the invigoration work team.

Miles: Me too.

Dan: I want to be judicious about allocating your time. Leslie, please do what is right for you.

Leslie: I am okay. I will not be a workhorse on this. I am focusing on reunion and survey.

Bob F: Twice a year, there are people who look at grant applications to allocate money. If there are people who are interested in getting involved, it is a lot of work but it is interesting.

Eric: I have tried to join but I have not gotten a response.

Kathleen: The Career Center decides when they need more people for the SRTG. I will speak to them for you Eric.

Oliver: They are still collecting information from students.

Dan: I would like to see all of you join the mentorship network.

Bob W: I am doing this and I get a lot out of it. To help your mentee, you need to do a lot of critical thinking. It helped me reconsider how I network with people. It is rewarding.

Dan: The students are amazing. Regarding social media ambassadors, are there other people who want to do this work?

Bob: I do it a lot at my day job. I would be willing to help out with this.

Leslie: I want to clarify the protocol for this since the Daimon is the main source of information for alumni. I am concerned we put things there that are a bit premature, inaccurate, or too early.

Bob W: I agree. We need to coordinate with the official sources so we have a plan. The main purpose should be to amplify official communications.

Kathleen: Yes, Freddie and I are happy to work with you on this. Please share what we post.

Bob W: And we can be on the lookout for other posts.

Bob F: I agree with Leslie. We need to be thoughtful on this. You have to be careful about how you present as a board member. I have mixed feelings about the Daimon. We should keep an eye on it.

Dan: Kathleen, do you have oversight on this?

Kathleen: Yes, I want people to follow the actual pages. The Daimon is not an official outlet of New College.

Dan: Are there any other work teams that people feel like we should have or resource?

Ben B: I have something under new business, but we could talk about it now.

Dan: We can wait. We have a good work plan. Thank you all for volunteering for groups. Let's make sure we get together in a timely manner and have some deliverables. Reunion is huge, but all of this work is important.

Kathleen: There is a day coming up in late October and early November where students need to contact an alum. If you are interested, please email me and I will get you signed up. It is a phone call where you answer career related questions.

Ben B: I am willing to volunteer.

Kathleen: Novo Volunteering will be rolling out soon. We have pulled back on regional gatherings, but I am starting to hear good news. We might do a gathering in December. We had a student engagement event last night that went well. Thank you to everyone who was there. Thankful November is coming up and Founder's Day is kicking off soon.

Dan: We are thinking about doing a class gift from the 4th-years. I think this is an idea the we can endorse.

Oliver: That's a great idea. It should be thoughtful and irreverent.

Dan: Regarding President Okker's top 10, this is her messaging platform. Share it.

Bob F: Regarding the bylaws, we last talked about changing the mandatory in-person requirement for meetings. It looks good now but I want to work on it some more. I will come back with updates.

MaryAnne: Updates from the Foundation: Sue Jacobson sends greetings, she is leaving for vacation soon. The board has elected new officers. This year, we aim to raise 10 million dollars. We exceeded our goal last year and feel confident. We want to support President Okker. The goal for the annual fund is to raise half a million dollars and have 12% alumni participation. Participation is now especially important. President Okker is meeting with local legislators and leaders. We hope to hold receptions. We had to dial it back, but we are taking our direction from alumni in those regions. We are working on planned giving. Declan is working on this. There will be a newsletter. Planned giving is about building a long term pipeline that will benefit New College. There is a planned giving council that Bob Freedman is on. President Okker and Mary Ruiz will be at the Board of Governors meeting in Tallahassee. There will also be a local meet up. We are launching our New Topics series. We are having Clambake and so far, have surpassed the amount of scholarship funds ever raised. We have built a new dock. We are in the beginning stages of planning an inauguration. We hope to set a definite date before or after reunion. This is a pivotal year for improving retention and admission.

Rachel: Thank you for the brief. Is there a place to download calendar invites? That would be helpful.

MaryAnne: Not yet. Kathleen and I will work on putting this together.

Kevin: Founder's Day is coming up. Thank you to those who answered the call to put together a matching pot of \$31k to match gifts. I am excited about that. I hope you will spread the word and encourage your peers to support New College. We will start a social media push. You can help by sharing those posts. You can also provide a testimonial we can use - in writing, with a photo of yourself, or a quick 30 second video. Let me know if you need talking points. Send that to me, Kathleen, and Freddie. We have also rolled out a platform that allows PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Venmo, which we will use on Founder's Day. You can also volunteer to help with enrollment and admissions. They would like to have alumni accompany them to college fairs. If you are interested, please let me know. There may be opportunities to attend college fairs on your own. You could also visit a school and drop off materials. In the spring, we will also have a few visit days. We want to invite alumni to take part, meet incoming students and their families.

Dan: Thank you again to Glenn and Marianne for speaking at Orientation.

Glenn: I enjoyed it. The involvement of alumni in recruitment activities is a great way to get alumni engaged.

Dan: Alumni all over the country could participate. I would like to see more than board members doing this.

Kathleen: Regarding Thankful November, we will be doing some student engagement events and asking for notes thanking our donors. We will also be highlighting entrepreneurial alumni. We will be doing Thankful Tuesday events. We hope you will help us with stewardship. We are also having a virtual alumni mini class.

Dan: We also have board elections coming up.

Kathleen: Several of you will need to reapply to be on the board.

Dan: Ben Brown has a proposal.

Ben B: We should have records of our proceedings going farther back in time, like minutes, resolution, and correspondence in an electronic archive. I am willing to work on this and piece together these archives. It would be helpful to have this and make it available to fellow alumni. I would personally like to have it, but it could be useful to others.

Kathleen: We have most of the minutes on the M-Drive. Ben, we can talk about this.

Ben B: When I joined the board, I asked for access and did not hear anything.

MaryAnne: We can move these minutes to the Google Drive.

Ben B: That's great to hear. These could be helpful for people who might want to join the board. I don't think these should be accessible to the public, but it should be available to all alumni.

MaryAnne: Ethically, we keep minutes for all of these meetings. It is important historical documentation.

Leslie: Can we do an alum of the month profile? Alumni have been successful. Perhaps we could do an alum of the season and have 4 a year. Alumni who make a difference. It could be great to share these stories.

Kathleen: In the Nimb.e, we do an alum highlight.

Kevin: We are early in the process, but we want to do an alum awards program. We are thinking of categories like 'lifetime of achievement', 'service supporting New College', 'young alum', 'New College legal society', and others. This is a broad framework. We were thinking of utilizing commencement as the venue.

Leslie: I am delighted. I wonder if we could do both. Alum of the month could be more grassroots and submission based.

Eric: We could have an alumni hall of fame on campus, at the career center.

Leslie: At my institution, we have a physical hall of fame in the building. It is enormous. It speaks volumes, especially to potential donors. I imagine for parents coming on a tour, it would be powerful.

Rachel: I am excited about all these ideas. I am hearing different categories of impact. I am thinking about something less like an award and more like a profile or spotlight. We could even do small surveys and put responses on social media.

Bob W: That's a great idea to keep it lighter. Awards could be alienating. Rachel's suggestion could enhance networking.

Leslie: I am so excited. We could use all of these great ideas. There is so much to celebrate at New College.

Kevin: We have a writer named Su Byron. She does profiles of people and could help with this.

Kathleen: As we wrap up, I want to remind everyone to share your Founder's Day stories with us.

Motion to adjourn the meeting ; so moved ; approved?

Unanimous approval. The motion passed.