Patient Bill of Rights and Responsibilities
As our patient, you have the right:
- To be treated with respect, consideration, and dignity.
- To appropriate privacy.
- To confidentiality of your medical records. Except when required by law, patients will be given the opportunity to approve or refuse the release of medical records.
- To be provided complete information, to the degree known, concerning your diagnosis, evaluation, treatment and prognosis unless medically inadvisable.
- To participate with your practitioner in making informed decisions involving your health care, including your right to accept or refuse medical care or treatment.
- To request and receive a second opinion from a community provider.
- To review your medical record.
- To care that is considerate and respectful of your own values and cultural beliefs, and to equal access to treatment regardless of race, national origin, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or religion.
- To timely access to health care.
- To refuse to participate in experimental research. A refusal to participate in research will never jeopardize subsequent care at the Counseling and Wellness Center.
- To examine and receive an explanation of costs for treatment when applicable.
As our patient, you have the responsibility:
- To provide to the best of your knowledge, accurate and complete information.
- To follow the plan of treatment as discussed and recommended by the health professional and to assume responsibility if you refuse treatment or don’t follow the plan.
- To inform provider about living will and/or medical power of attorney or other directive that may affect your health care.
- To arrange payment for any charges not covered by the health fee.
- To treat staff with respect, consideration, and dignity.
- To inform the Counseling and Wellness Center Director as soon as possible if you believe your rights have been violated, to express grievances, or to offer suggestions.
- To respect the community by turning off cell phones, or placing them on vibrate, and refraining from use unless authorized by the Health Care Provider.
- To keep your appointment at the Counseling and Wellness Center, or to cancel at least one hour before the scheduled appointment.