New and Prospective Students

Student Disability Services is here to provide resources and support to aid in the transition to New College. 


Congratulations on your decision to join our the New College of Florida campus community! We are excited to welcome you. Student Disability Services is here to provide resources and support to aid in the transition to New College.  Our staff works in partnership with faculty, staff, and students to ensure that all aspects of student life are accessible, equitable, and inclusive of individuals with disabilities.

Student Disability Services is responsible for:

  • Establishing and disseminating criteria for disability services;
  • Meeting with students in order to discuss access needs;
  • Receiving and storing confidential disability documentation to support a student’s eligibility for disability services and accommodations;
  • Collaborating with faculty and staff regarding essential course and/or program requirements and appropriate reasonable accommodations;
  • Promoting disability equity and inclusion.

How can I request accommodations?

To establish accommodations, please complete the following steps:

      1. Using these instructions, register a non-NCF email address to receive a unique one-time passcode.
      2. Complete the NCF New Student Request Form before the preferred date of July 1st, 2021 to ensure that accommodations are established prior to the first day of fall 2021 courses.
      3. Upload reliable 3rd party information regarding your disability, learning difference, or medical condition using our secure service portal, Accessible Information Management (AIM).
        • Reliable third party documentation includes but is not limited to an individualized education plan (IEP), a 504 plan with supporting medical documentation, or a neuropsychological evaluation from a licensed medical professional.
        • Reliable third party documentation must be in English and from a non-family member.
      4. A staff member from SDS will contact you to schedule a meeting to discuss your request to establish accommodations.
      5. During this first meeting with SDS, the staff member will work with you to review your documentation along with your request form. If additional information is needed, the staff member will let you know and give instructions on how to submit any additional information. If applicable, the staff member will give a “tour” of the online AIM portal and instructions on how to utilize your accommodations. 

Frequently Asked Questions:

To determine eligibility, please review the Eligibility & Registration for Services section of the SDS web page.  Students may also self-identify to their faculty advisor and ask to be referred to SDS.

Applying for disability services and/or accommodations involves the student doing two things:

  1. Complete the Disclosure of Disability Form (please ensure you are logged into your NCF portal when completing).
  2. Submit supporting disability documentation via fax at 941-487-4517 or upload and email to SDS at  In order to know what type of documentation is needed, please review our Disability Documentation Guidelines.

After this information is received, an SDS counselor will contact you by phone or email about the next steps. If you are unsure whether you qualify for disability services and/or accommodations, you can indicate that on your registration form and an SDS counselor will follow up with you to provide more information about eligibility for disability services.

Disability Documentation Guidelines vary depending on the type of disability. Current and comprehensive documentation is needed to determine not only a student’s eligibility to receive accommodations but also, their current levels of functioning.

Please review our Disability Documentation Guidelines for more details.

We encourage all students with disabilities to register with SDS.

NCF is committed to creating a campus community that is inclusive of all aspects of diversity and identity, including disability identity. SDS serves as a resource to all students who have a disability. By registering with SDS, you may allow yourself resources and opportunities that may be beneficial to you, whether you utilize accommodations/services or not. When you complete the Disclosure of Disability Form, you can indicate that you are not requesting any services or accommodations at this time.

This frequently happens. At NCF, when students ask for modifications to policies in the course or housing for a medical condition, the requests must be facilitated through Student Disability Services. It is also possible you may not realize until you get to campus and start engaging with classes and moving around the campus that you need something. That is okay, as well. You can register with SDS at any point while you are registered at NCF.

No. NCF does not have services for LD or ADHD evaluations. Students need to submit current and comprehensive evaluations when requesting disability services. Please review our Disability Documentation Guidelines for more information about what is required.

SDS keeps documentation and information on registration status in a secure location. When sharing information with faculty and campus partners involved in the provision of accommodations, our focus is on the accommodation you need for equal access, not on the disability.

Regardless of whether you’ve turned 18 when entering college, your IEP or 504 plans will end when you complete high school and begin college. Both IEPs and 504s are handled through the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), while disability accommodations in college are handled through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as well as successive amendments to those laws). What that means is that you won’t continue to have regular, frequent meetings. like what might have occurred in high school. However, your IEP and 504 paperwork still counts as documentation of disability for accommodations in college, and you will meet with someone in Student Disability Services at least one time each semester. Your IEP and 504 documents also can serve as a guide for SDS to connect you with beneficial resources, such as the Writing Resource Center, Quantitative Resource Center, or Student Success and Advocacy Programs and their student tutors and coaches. Documentation from your IEP or 504 also can help with referrals for equipment or auxiliary aids designed to improve accessibility to your education, various campus support groups, case management services, or outside community resources.

The purpose of financial aid is to help students and families meet educational expenses that cannot be met through their own resources. Financial aid can be either need-based or non-need-based. The results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) along with the cost of education will determine whether or not a student has financial need. Costs related to disabling conditions may affect your financial need but having a disability does not qualify a student automatically for financial aid.

We encourage students to visit the website for the Johnson Scholarship Foundation. Students who believe they qualify should visit the NCF Johnson Scholarship page for additional information on qualifications and the process to apply.