Members of the Sarasota-Manatee community may be approved to audit courses at New College
Members of the Sarasota-Manatee community may be approved to audit courses at New College, as follows:
They must submit a completed Application for Non-Degree-Seeking Students to the Office of the Registrar’s at least two weeks before the beginning of the term. The application will be reviewed by the Registrar and sent to the Office of the Provost for approval. The Office of the Provost will contact the professor to confirm that auditing the class is a possibility. The Office of the Registrar will communicate with the community member with the final decision.
Classes at New College are small and classroom space is limited. Audit may be approved only if there is space available and the instructor approves it.
Attendance is restricted to the meetings of the approved course. Auditors do not participate in other aspects of College life and do not qualify for other student privileges. This includes Teaching Assistant sessions in language or science courses.
Permission to audit authorizes class observance only. The auditor’s participation in a course rest with the instructor(s) of the course. Instructors are not required to review or grade any work completed by auditors.
Application Process for Community Auditors:
1. Review the course offering for the term to determine what you would be interested in taking.
2. Submit the Application for Non-Degree-Seeking Students
3. The Registrar will review the application and inform the Office of the Provost. They will contact the professor for approval. Faculty often may not be able to provide approval until the start of the semester, once the class size is finalized.
4. Once the faculty member has agreed that you may audit the class, the Office of the Registrar will contact you to schedule a visit to get a parking permit. You should bring the following to your appointment:
5. Staff will create a Canvas account for you, depending on which system the course’s professor uses. They will email a login ID and initial password to you to get into the account as soon as possible.
6. Proof of Florida residency for determining your eligibility to pay in-state tuition rates may be submitted directly to the Office of the Registrar. Please be advised that Financial Aid is not available for nondegree-seeking students.
7. All students, regardless of age, must complete a mandatory medical history form available from the New College Counseling and Wellness Center. All students born after 1956 must also present documented proof of immunity to measles (Rubeola) and Rubella (German measles).
Please note that in Canvas, some courses instruct students on how to use library online resources such as research databases and e-journals. Auditors who have agreed with faculty to complete assignments using these student resources will need to come to the Jane Bancroft Cook Library and use computers there for access, per our licensing agreements with online resources.
Auditing privileges may be denied or revoked at any time. The College reserves the right to limit the number of courses audited by any one person, to limit the total number of auditors on campus in a particular term, and to change this policy.