Transfer credits

Enrollment Services evaluates transfer credit on behalf of the New College of Florida faculty.

Transfer credit is assigned toward New College of Florida’s semester contract, Independent Study Project, and unit requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree.

Credit is considered only for college courses with grades of “C” or better, taken prior to the student’s initial enrollment at New College, and documented by official transcript from the accredited, postsecondary degree-granting college or university that issued the original credit. Course work taken on a noncredit basis will not be considered.

Credit by examination is not considered for transfer, except when applied to fulfillment of a Florida College System or Florida State University System Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree. Courses in the arts and sciences and supporting fields may be accepted toward transfer credit.

Acceptable courses typically fall into the following fields:

  • Anthropology
  • Art
  • Art History
  • Biology
  • Botany
  • Chemistry
  • Computer Science
  • Economics
  • Engineering
  • English
  • Geography
  • Geology
  • History
  • Humanities
  • Journalism
  • Languages**
  • Literature
  • Mathematics***
  • Music
  • Natural Sciences
  • Philosophy
  • Physics
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Religion
  • Social Sciences
  • Sociology
  • Theater
  • Visual/Performing Arts

Limited transfer credit may be assigned for course work in Business and Speech. Otherwise, courses in the following fields typically are not transferable:

  • Business
  • Education
  • Health
  • Nursing
  • Physical Education
  • Social Work
  • Speech

Once transfer credit has been granted, that transfer credit will not be removed or waived by a request from the student.

For Florida College System and Florida State University System A.A. transfers—for a student who has earned the A.A. degree from a member school of the Florida College System (formerly the Florida public community college system) or from the Florida State University System, New College acknowledges fulfillment of the College’s Liberal Arts Curriculum (general education) course requirements, and would assign the following maximum transfer credit:

  • 3 semester contracts
  • 1 Independent Study Project
  • 15 Units (equivalent to 60 semester credit hours)

For all other transfers—transfer credit is based on 16 or more transferable semester hours, in the following increments:

16-19 transferable semester hours — 4 units — 1 semester contract

20-35 transferable semester hours — 5 units — 1 semester contract and 1 ISP

36-51 transferable semester hours — 9 units — 2 semester contracts and 1 ISP

52 or more transferable semester hours — 13 units — 3 semester contracts and 1 ISP

In no case may transfer credit be given for more than 3 contracts and 1 ISP. Every New College student must complete at least four contracts and two ISPs in residence at New College in order to graduate.

*Exceptions to the requirement that credit is completed prior to initial enrollment can be made for an approved Summer ISP with a host institution, and completion of a Florida College System or Florida State University System AA during a period of withdrawal from NCF.

**Language credit (including Sign Language) transfers only if the language has been studied through at least the second semester level of the first-year sequence.

***Mathematics courses below the level of Calculus are not typically accepted for transfer with the exception of Trigonometry, Precalculus, and Statistics. Revised June 27, 2016.

NCF Transfer FAQ

What do I need to do for my Area of Concentration? You should always expect to complete the majority of work in your field of study with faculty at New College. For permission to file your concentration, you’ll need the approval of the professors in your field for the quality and amount of work you’ve done in that subject with them. (To file for a special program concentration, you’ll need the endorsement of at least two faculty and subsequent review by the faculty of the three academic Divisions.) You can read the guidelines for concentrations here.  

How do I find out about course placement? Save your course syllabi—course placement is decided by faculty, not by the registrar. Professors in some fields, like mathematics, sciences, and foreign languages, may use placement exams. Particularly for any course related to your field of study, remember to save the syllabus. If you enroll at New College, you’ll bring your syllabi to your faculty advisor and other professors to discuss your academic background. This will give them a better idea of what you’ve already studied, and help them know what questions to ask, so that they can better advise you for course placement (You can read NCF course descriptions here). Faculty do this so that they can be comfortable that you’re ready for more advanced level study with them, instead of assuming that two courses with the same name cover the same topics, or that two students with similar records have the same retention and understanding of the material.

What courses do I need to graduate? Instead of a formula for graduation, New College offers a wide range of options. Each concentration provides guidelines for graduation for courses, types of courses, and projects or other experiences that the professors expect of their students. However, your professors may give you the flexibility to make many of your own choices. In addition, much of your work is done through individual arrangements with your professors, on topics you’d like to pursue. These tutorials, Independent Reading Projects, and Independent Study Projects will count toward your academic program.

How long will it take me to graduate? You’re welcome to request a rough estimate of transfer credit prior to a decision. Please contact your assigned admissions counselor, click here to see a list of contacts for different areas of Florida and the U.S. The formal assignment of transfer credit is done for enrolling students, on the basis of the final college transcript. Transfer credit is assigned in time toward the degree. All students need the equivalent of at least seven semester contracts and three January Independent Study Projects toward their graduation requirements. For example, if the Office of the Registrar accepts 36 hours of transferable course work, this would be assigned two semester contracts and one Independent Study Project (leaving a minimum of five semester contracts and two Independent Study Projects to complete). Most transfers will complete an additional semester because of the senior thesis requirement, and/or to take additional courses. Note for students with scholarship funding: most scholarships assigned by New College are for eight semesters minus any semesters of transfer credit assigned.