CARES Act Information for New College Students
Apply for funds
- Section 18004(c) of the CARES Act requires the College “to use no less than fifty percent of the funds to provide emergency financial aid grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus (including eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care).”
- Accordingly, the College has developed an application so that students who have incurred expenses related to the disruption of campus operations can apply for funds. As funds are limited, requests for funding requests are being limited to $2,000 or less.
- The application period has been extended to June 18, 2020.
- In order to document compliance with the CARES ACT requirements, there are some general qualifications which include: must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen; have a valid SSN; have registered with the Selective Service if male, have a high school diploma or GED, are some common qualifiers. Students who don’t qualify for CARES ACT funding are encouraged to complete the application as other funding may be available to assist in meeting the student’s needs.
- Beginning June 1, we will match the remaining CARES allocation from Phase I (May 1-May 31) with student funding needs as provided in the application. The cumulative amount provided to an individual student has been increased to a maximum of $2,000. First consideration will be given to Pell students. Student need must be based on the impact of COVID 19 caused by disruption of campus operations.
- Cash grants will be processed weekly for the original approved amount and will not be used to pay outstanding NCF debt.
- Students will be notified as to the results of the application process and when to expect funds. If their application is denied, they will be provided the reason, and details on the appeals process.
Again, please apply by June 18th and direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org