Our Graduates in Urban Studies
Mary Ruiz (above) is president and CEO at Manatee Glens Hospital and Addiction Center. Manatee Glens is a not-for-profit hospital that has been helping families in crisis with mental health and addictions services in Bradenton, Florida, for over 50 years. Ruiz has led Manatee Glens to a statewide reputation, gaining recognition for innovation with groundbreaking programs such as the Access Center, a 24-hour psychiatric emergency room for both mental health and addictions crises, the first outpatient detox center in the state and winner of a Florida Best Practice Award, and the Safe Children Coalition, a collaboration that has reduced child abuse and neglect caseloads by 50 percent.
New College is proud of the many Urban Studies graduates who have contributed to the field. Here's a sampling of some of our graduates:
• Robert Bilott is a law partner at Taft, Stettinius & Hollister, LLP, in their environmental, litigation, product liability and personal injury practice groups.
• Roderick Grant is a graphic designer and assistant professor at Ontario College of Art and Design. His photographic and typographic work involves the threshold between rural and urban, and transitions in urban typology from metropolitan density to open sparsity. His New College thesis was on “Architectural Design: Theory and Reality.”
• Irene Hillman studied Sociology and Urban Studies at New College. She is director of career services at Westwood College in Atlanta.
• Scott Pesetsky is a lawyer practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, probate and business law, especially for inventors, start-ups, web designers and consultants.
• Olga Ronay is managing partner at High Cove, a community with 45 homes on 108 acres in the North Carolina mountains to be sustainable and preserve the land around it.
• Michael Winkleman is owner/president and chief creative officer of Leverage Media. He has also worked as director of custom publishing for American Lawyer Media and was senior vice president of editorial operations and production at Chief Executive Magazine.
• Kira Zender works at CH2M HILL, a global leader in consulting, design, design-build, operations, and program management working to build a better and more sustainable world.
Sample of Graduate Schools Attended by NCF Students in Urban Studies
• Cornell University