Our Graduates in Music
Adele Fournet ’09, (above) is pursuing her Ph.D. in music at New York University. While at New College, Fournet earned a Fulbright to study Gender in Musical Structure: Female Rock Artists in Lima, Peru. Provost Stephen Miles said. "Classical and pop music were always in two separate categories for Adele, but she was able to bring those together at New College." While a student at New College, Fournet composed music for the Sarasota string and piano quartets and wrote a senior thesis called "Chicks with Picks, an ethnography of the Tampa, Female Rock Musicians in the Tampa Bay Music Scene." As part of her work, she looked at female musicians — not singers necessarily, but instrumentalists and asked the questions: What was their path to music? And what has been their experience professionally? A version of her thesis was published in a peer-reviewed online journal called Music in Arts and Action.
New College is proud of the many Music and non-Music graduates who have contributed to the field. Here's a sampling of some of our graduates:
• Martin Daughtry is in an assistant professor of music in musicology at NYU. He concentrated in Russian Language & Literature at New College and received his master's degree and Ph.D. in musicology from UCLA.
• Silas Durocher is a composer, guitarist, songwriter and singer who blends rock and funk with classical music. You can follow him and learn more about his music by visiting his website at silasdurocher.com.
• Ellen Gray is an associate professor of music in ethnomusicology at Columbia University. She concentrated in Humanities at New College before earning her master's in music and her Ph.D. in cultural anthropology at Duke University.
• Erica Gressman combined her love of music and art with an AOC in Humanities at New College. She earned her M.F.A. from the School of the Art Institute in Chicago. “She used the flexibility of a Humanities AOC to be able to craft the right blend for her,” Provost Miles said.
• Erin Hannon is an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). She is the director of the UNLV Music Lab on Auditory Cognition and Development. She concentrated in Music and Psychology at New College.
Sample of Graduate Schools Attended by NCF Students in Music
• Ohio State University