Off-Campus Study

The Place of Off-Campus Study in the Curriculum

Enrollment in a semester contract of study off campus must be equivalent to a minimum of 3 New College units (or 12 semester hours or 18 quarter hours at a host institution). If a student undertakes an academic contract that consists of study at another accredited college or university, or at a recognized field study center, he or she pays tuition and fees only to the host institution, not to New College. In order for the student to receive credit at the end of the off-campus endeavor, the student must arrange for the host institution to send an official transcript, or other appropriate and official account of the experience, to the New College of Florida Office of the Registrar. New College will accept the transcripts of recognized foreign universities for off-campus study purposes. For transcripts from abroad, the student is responsible for arranging and paying for a course-by-course evaluation of the work into American credit hour and grade equivalents by a credential evaluation service that is a member service of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services; if the transcript is not in English, the student is also responsible for arranging and paying for a professional translation. The Office of the Registrar will provide the academic advisor with a copy of the transcript once it is received from the host institution. If off-campus study as an academic contract is not undertaken at another college, university, or field study center, New College faculty are responsible for evaluation of the student’s work on a tutorial basis. In such cases, the student pays tuition and fees to New College.

Resources for Off-Campus Study

New College provides resources for identifying and evaluating off-campus opportunities through Career Services on campus. Planning for an off-campus semester should begin with a visit to the Center for Career Education and Off -Campus Studies Center.

Off-Campus Study Eligibility

To qualify for off-campus study, a student must have completed two successive satisfactory contracts at New College, and must declare his or her intent by April 1 for the following fall semester or November 1 for spring semester. See the form on the registrar’s web site which must be signed by the contract sponsor.

In addition, students who wish to study off campus should be aware of the following conditions and requirements:

1.       An off-campus contract must be deemed as equivalent to a full-time contract at New College by the Contract Sponsor, with a minimum of 3 units of New College tutorial work, or 12 semester hours or 18 quarter hours of study at an accredited host institution.

2.       The student’s final contract must be completed on campus.

3.       The student must complete four of his or her seven contracts on campus in order to graduate.

4.       While off campus, the student remains responsible for all deadlines related to his or her subsequent return.

5.       A Florida resident student who pursues off-campus study for two consecutive semesters will need to reestablish in-state residency upon return to New College.

Registering for Off-Campus Study

All students registering for off-campus study should complete a contract in consultation with the contract sponsor. They should submit the contract to the Office of the Registrar in the semester prior to the term of off-campus study (before winter or summer breaks). They should also be aware of the following guidelines:

·         When negotiating the certification requirements for Off-Campus Contracts, the student and the contract sponsor should take into consideration such factors as the quality of the institution, the level of courses to be taken, and the integration of the work into the student’s academic program at New College.

·         A student may have trouble committing to or confirming all the details of an off-campus contract before arriving at the host institution. Students should submit new contracts, signed by their contract sponsors, to the Office of the Registrar when their schedules at the host institutions are finalized.

·         Students who are participating in exchange programs such as the National Student Exchange (NSE) or that with the University of the West Indies (UWI), register and pay tuition and fees at New College. Such students may decide, in consultation with their faculty, to establish a mixed contract, consisting of both work at the off-campus institution and tutorials supervised by New College faculty.

·         Because all New College students enroll full-time, the student must enroll in (and remain enrolled in) a minimum of 3 units or the equivalent of at least 12 semester hours (or 18 quarter hours).

·         Students are responsible for arranging to have their official transcripts (and any additional credential translation and/or evaluation documents) sent to the Office of the Registrar immediately at the end of the semester.

Special Concerns for Students Paying the Host Institution

Paying the host for off-campus study involves a slightly different set of procedures from paying at New College of Florida.

·        Students paying the host institution should complete a Tuition Waiver Form and submit it with the Off-Campus Study Form to the Office of the Registrar.

·        For every semester that a student studies off campus and pays tuition to the host, he or she must request a Tuition Waiver from New College.

·        Once tuition at New College has been waived, the student’s contract may show only work to be done at the host institution. A student may not include independent work with a New College faculty member as part of the Off -Campus Contract if tuition is paid to the host institution.

·        Students paying at the host institution do not need to register in NewCLEIS

·        Students paying at the host institution are not eligible to register for an ISP following the semester of off-campus study.

Off-Campus Study and Financial Aid

If a student has a scholarship and/or need-based financial aid, he or she should consult with the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid well in advance of the off-campus semester. Some types of scholarship and need-based aid can apply to off- campus study, but others are restricted to use on campus. Financial aid staff assist students in their efforts to secure funding for an off-campus semester.

For a contract, all off-campus study students must enroll in a minimum of 12 semester credit hours (or 18 quarter hours) at the host institution. It is important that the student have an official transcript and any other required documents sent to the Office of the Registrar as quickly as possible following the off-campus study. Because renewal of aid depends on proof of enrollment and satisfactory academic progress, students who receive aid may have their aid cancelled if their official transcripts and other required documents are not received in a timely manner.

Off-Campus Study, the Provisional AOC Plan and the Thesis Prospectus

If the proposed semester of off-campus study occurs during the student’s fifth contract, he or she must submit the Provisional Area of Concentration Plan before beginning off-campus study.

If the proposed semester of off-campus study occurs during the student’s sixth contract, he or she must submit the Thesis Prospectus/Area of Concentration before beginning off-campus study

Forwarding Mail from New College

In order to continue receiving mail, a student should leave a forwarding address (preferably a permanent off-campus address) with the Office of Student Affairs, the Office of the Registrar and the Campus Mail Center before departing campus.

Receiving Credit for Off-Campus Study

Upon arriving at the host institution, a student should go to the Registrar’s Office and request that an official transcript be sent to the following address as soon as possible after the off-campus study is completed.

Office of the Registrar
PMD 115
New College of Florida
5800 Bay Shore Road
Sarasota, FL 34243

For work done abroad, the student is required to arrange and pay for any additional documentation needed to determine American grade and semester credit hour equivalents (e.g., professional translation, and evaluation by a credential service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services).

Off-Campus Study Contract Certification

When a student completes a contract while enrolled at a host institution, the contract sponsor will base its certification on two documents:  1) the off-campus contract and 2) the transcript from the host institution. Off -campus contracts for study at another institution should list the titles, numbers, and credit hours for the courses that the student intends to take and provide certification criteria. The Office of the Registrar acknowledges that the transcript has been received from the host institution regardless of the details of the contract.

To be sure a student is informed of his or her registration and tuition and fees/obligations, he or she should consult with the Office of the Registrar as planning for off-campus study progresses.

Off-Campus Study Summer Contract

A student can pursue a summer semester at another college or university in order to compress the semesters required for graduation into a shortened time period (thus, seven semesters could be done, with a summer semester, in three years instead of three-and -a-half years). However, a student cannot undertake off-campus contracts involving fieldwork, internships, or the like during the summer because these require the active participation of New College faculty, who are not available during summer recess.


Office of the Provost
New College of Florida
5800 Bay Shore Road
Sarasota, Florida  34243

Phone: (941) 487-4200
Fax: (941) 487-4201