Leave of Absence

Successful progress in the rigorous academic program at New College requires the full commitment of each student. When such a commitment is not possible, a student may apply for a leave of absence. Reasons for taking a leave might include the need to work full time, a family crisis, or an extraordinary opportunity for educational  travel (e.g., to participate in a scientific expedition),  to participate in a political activity or to take advantage of other exceptionally  enriching personal opportunities that do not fit into the academic portion of the contract.

A student may take a maximum of two semesters (either consecutive or not) of leave from enrollment at New College. S/he must declare the intention to take a leave by November 1 for the following spring semester or April 1 for the following fall semester using the Leave of Absence form available from the Registrar.  A declaration of intent to take a leave must be approved by the student’s contract sponsor. To be eligible for a leave of absence, a student must have completed two consecutive satisfactory contracts.

A student considering a leave of absence should be aware of the following:

1.       A student who does not return in the semester following a leave is regarded as having withdrawn from New College, and must apply to the Student Academic Status Committee (SASC) for readmission.

2.       A student who declares a leave of absence and then decides to remain enrolled should inform the Registrar and then register before the first day of the semester.

3.       While on leave, a student does not pay tuition and fees and is not entitled to use College housing, facilities or services.

4.       A student who has been granted a leave of absence should reapply for financial aid on the same basis as continuing students. If a student plans to return in fall or spring of the next academic year, s/he should meet the following deadlines and submit appropriate forms in order to receive consideration  for financial aid:

·          Submit FAFSA to federal processor by March 1. 

·          Notify the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid of intent to return by November 1 for spring semester and by April 1 for fall semester.

·          Submit documentation requested by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid no later than April 1.

·          A student who meets the November 1 or April 1 deadline to request a leave, submits all required documentation to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid by the same deadline, and returns on time as planned, will be considered for full reinstatement of any need-based and merit-based aid for which he or she would have been eligible.

5.       A student who misses the deadline to request leaves may petition the Office of the Provost for an exemption.

6.       The Office of Admissions and Financial Aid cannot guarantee that all aid and/or scholarships will be restored to a student who takes a leave of absence that requires exemption from the November 1 or April 1 deadline for requests. These students should speak to a financial aid staff member for clarification of their situation.

7.       While on leave, a student may complete incomplete work from previous semesters within the “one -year rule” and incomplete ISP work that falls within the published deadlines.

8.       A student may not register for the ISP following the semester in which s/he is on a leave of absence. If a student takes a leave of absence that begins immediately after the fall term, tuition and fees related to the interterm ISP for which the student had registered will be refunded.

9.       A student in his or her first year of study at New College who wishes to apply for a leave of absence must petition the Office of the Provost for exemption from the rule that a student have two completed satisfactory contracts on campus. Exemptions will be considered only in exceptional cases.

Emergency Leave of Absence

An emergency leave of absence may be granted to a currently enrolled student in the event of an unanticipated emergency or crisis that significantly impairs the student's ability to function academically. Such crises may be medical or psychological, or may involve tragedies such as a death in the family. An appropriate professional (physician; licensed therapist, etc.) must certify that the severity of the situation prohibits continued academic involvement (in the case of medical or psychological issues). Students on academic probation are not eligible for Emergency Leave. Emergency Leave is for one semester only and may be granted only once during a student's tenure at New College.

Application Procedure for an Emergency Leave

A student considering an emergency leave of absence (ELOA) should follow the procedure listed below:

1.       The student contacts the Director of Counseling and Wellness in writing, in person, or by telephone to request an emergency leave.

2.       The Director of Counseling  and Wellness, after consulting  with the appropriate staff and counseling  or medical professionals, determines  if an emergency  leave is warranted and falls within the ELOA deadline.

3.       The Director of Counseling and Wellness may set conditions for return to the College (continued therapy, hospitalization, etc.).

4.       A letter confirming the leave is sent to the student with copies to the Provost, the Registrar, the student’s contract sponsor, the Dean of Students, the Director of Financial Aid, and the Director of Housing.

Returning To New College after an Emergency Leave

To return to New College following an emergency leave of absence, a student should take the following steps and understand the following conditions:

1.       The student must contact the Director of Counseling and Wellness to request clearance for readmission.  If the Director set conditions for return to the College, the student must provide the Director evidence that these conditions have been met, including documentation from a licensed professional that states that s/he is capable of resuming academic activities.

2.       A student who does not return to New College in the term following the emergency leave is considered withdrawn from the College and must apply for readmission through the Student Academic Status Committee (SASC), observing deadlines as outlined in the catalog. The student must still receive clearance from the Director of Counseling and Wellness.

A student considering an emergency leave of absence should be aware of the following conditions:

1.       The deadline for granting emergency leave is the end of the twelfth week of the applicable term, the same date as the contract renegotiation deadline.

2.       Emergency leave is for one semester only, the semester in which it is requested, and may be granted only once during a student’s tenure at New College.

3.       Emergency leaves are not granted during the ISP period.

4.       A student may not register for an interterm or summer ISP following the semester of emergency leave.

5.       A student on emergency leave may not live on campus, use College facilities and services or receive academic credit for the semester for which leave is granted, except for first-module courses or activities for which the work is completed before the leave.

6.       A student on emergency leave is subject to the College’s refund policy for tuition and housing.

7.       A student on emergency leave who received Federal Title IV funds may have to repay a portion of those funds. See ”Withdrawal  and Financial Aid/Return of Title IV Funds” in the New College catalog.

8.       A student on academic probation is not eligible for emergency leave.

9.       If a student had any academic deficiencies (incomplete and/or unsatisfactory work) prior to taking emergency leave, those deficiencies are subject to academic review upon return.

10.    A student who is on emergency leave is not eligible for a leave of absence the semester immediately following the emergency leave or an off campus study contract (OCS).

11.    If the student takes emergency leave during the semester, after filing the semester contract, the semester contract will receive a designation of Unsatisfactory.

12.    A student who takes emergency leave during the semester, and who receives or applies for financial aid, should contact financial aid staff to discuss the appeal process for Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid purposes.


Students who withdraw are subject to the College’s policy on the refund of tuition and fees. A student whose registration has been canceled due to nonpayment, missing immunizations or a lack of health insurance will be administratively withdrawn from the College if s/he has not cleared his or her accounts or complied with these requirements by the end of the fourth week of classes. Students who have paid tuition for an ISP are eligible for refund if they withdraw by the last day of the semester before the ISP period.

You may withdraw from New College prior to graduation by completing a Withdrawal Request form (available on the Registrar’s portal page), and obtaining the required signatures.

If withdrawing after the end of the semester, the official date of withdrawal will be the last day of classes of the semester. If withdrawing during the semester, the official date of withdrawal will be whichever of the following is earliest:

• the earliest date recorded on your Withdrawal Request form received by the Office of the Registrar
• the date that you provided notification to the Office of the Registrar of your intent to withdraw
• the last date of academically related activity that we document (if we determine that you stopped attending classes and tutorials prior to any of the dates above)

Financial aid and scholarship recipients, please note: If you withdraw, you may be responsible for repaying all or part of your aid. You may be liable for repaying a greater portion of your aid if you stop attending classes and tutorials prior to official withdrawal; in addition, if you hold a student loan, the start date of your repayment grace period may be backdated to the time you stop attending classes and tutorials.

 For more detail on the process of withdrawal, see Withdrawal and Tuition Refunds (page 83).  For more information the effects of withdrawal on financial aid and scholarships, see Withdrawal and Financial Aid/Return of Title IV Funds and Withdrawal, Scholarships, and Financial Aid (page 91).

Students considering withdrawal should be aware of the following conditions:

1.       A student who has withdrawn may not live on campus, nor may he or she use College facilities or services, with the exception of the Library. He or she also may not support or participate in the social events on campus.

2.       Students who withdraw are subject to the College’s refund policy for tuition and housing.

3.       Students who withdraw and receive Federal Title IV funds may have to repay a portion of those funds. See the section of the New College Catalog entitled “Withdrawal and Financial Aid / Return of Title IV Funds.” In addition, students may be required to repay scholarship funds.

4.       A student who wishes to return to New College after withdrawal should apply to the Student Academic Status Committee (SASC) for readmission.

5.       If the student withdraws during the semester, after filing the semester contract, the semester contract will receive a designation of Unsatisfactory.

6.       If the student withdraws during the January Interterm and was registered for an ISP, the ISP will receive a designation of Unsatisfactory.

7.       Course work completed at another college or university during a period of withdrawal will not be considered for transfer credit.

Checklist for departure from campus

·            Notify parents of intentions

·            Talk with faculty advisor about plans

·            Schedule an exit interview with the Dean of Students

·            Meet with a Financial Aid counselor (to discuss possible future eligibility for aid, and whether return of Title IV or scholarship aid may be required)

·            Check with the Business Office about account

·            Leave forwarding address with the Office of the Registrar and update address in NewCLEIS

·            Make an appointment with the Housing Office to check out of room

·            Return room key to the Housing Office (there is a $124 charge for keys not returned)

·            Notify campus employer

·            Notify the Director of Off -Campus Studies if application for to study off-campus is pending

·            Return books to the library

·            Inform professors of plans (the Office of the Registrar does this officially, but students who are withdrawing or taking a leave of absence should do it as a courtesy)


All completed educational activities evaluated as “Satisfactory” by a member of the New College faculty are entered on the official transcript, together with selected background information, such as scores on the SAT or ACT submitted as part of the application to New College. New College course, tutorial or ISP work evaluated as “Unsatisfactory” or “Incomplete” does not appear on the transcript, nor do audited classes. Narrative evaluations are not included with transcripts and are never translated into grades by the Registrar.  Coursework through an approved off-campus contract at another institution is recorded similarly to the way work appears on that institution’s transcript.

New College transcripts are requested at www.GetMyTranscript.com. The student selects New College of Florida from the list of participating colleges, provides the requested information, and pays the fee online. The student will receive an email once New College receives the request and additional emails regarding the status of the request.

A student may obtain an unofficial transcript online from the Student Evaluation System (SES). For more information on how to access this document, contact the Office of the Registrar.

For more information on transcripts, contact the Office of the Registrar at (records@ncf.edu, 941-487-4230, or Office of the Registrar, New College of Florida, 5800 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota FL, 34243).

Academic Deficiencies

New College students are considered to be in good academic standing as long as contract certification criteria are being met and ISPs satisfactorily completed. A student’s failure to complete contracts and ISPs satisfactorily will trigger one of three automatic consequences, for each of which a notice will be sent from the Registrar to the student and contract sponsor:

Academic Warning

·          One unsatisfactory ISP.

·          Failure to complete three satisfactory ISPs by the end of the sixth semester.

Academic Probation

·          One unsatisfactory contract or two unsatisfactory ISPs.

Academic Dismissal

·          Two unsatisfactory contracts, which need not be consecutive.

·          In any order, one unsatisfactory contract and two unsatisfactory ISPs; again, they need not be consecutive.

·          One unsatisfactory contract, for students who were readmitted after having previously been dismissed.

Academic Warning: Students will be notified by the Registrar that they must complete a satisfactory ISP during the next January ISP or they will fall behind the normal schedule for completing the ISPs required for graduation.

Academic Probation: Students will be notified by the Registrar that they have fallen behind in the satisfactory completion of contracts and/or ISPs, that they are being placed on academic probation, and that their academic progress will be reviewed by the SASC. A student may appeal his or her probation to the Registrar on procedural grounds only (i.e., in cases of error or misunderstanding). At the end of each semester, the Registrar will report to the SASC on all probationary students’ academic progress. Students on academic probation are expected to complete contract and ISP obligations satisfactorily and on time, and to demonstrate that they are once again progressing at an acceptable pace toward completion of degree requirements.  Evidence of acceptable progress includes satisfactory evaluations of academic activities included on the semester contract and a satisfactory contract certification.  Evaluations of “incomplete” and marginally satisfactory evaluations do not constitute such evidence. A probationary student demonstrating academic progress will be removed from probation and restored to good academic standing. A student who completes his or her contract satisfactorily but whose weak academic performance warrants further monitoring may have his or her probationary status extended for one semester. Failure to demonstrate acceptable progress will result in academic dismissal. In all cases the student will receive a notice from the SASC.

Academic Dismissal: Students whose academic progress has not met the required minimum standards described in the College’s academic policies will be automatically notified of their impending dismissal by the Registrar. Such notices are sent to the student and sponsor immediately upon determination of two unsatisfactory contracts or one unsatisfactory contract and two unsatisfactory  ISPs.

For a student who receives a notice of pending dismissal the Registrar will schedule a hearing with the SASC. A student who receives a notice of impending dismissal has the option of appealing his or her dismissal to the SASC. If the student chooses to appeal, the Registrar will schedule a meeting that includes the student, the faculty sponsor, and the SASC. At this meeting the committee will consider the following aspects of the student’s record:

1.       Previous contracts and ISPs;

2.       Any previous reviews by the SASC;

3.       General quality of academic work as reported by faculty in evaluations;

4.       The sponsor’s assessment  of the student;

5.       Patterns of incomplete  and/or unsatisfactory  work;

6.       Other aspects of progress toward completion of degree requirements, such as declaration of area of concentration,  or submission of senior thesis prospectus;

7.       Any extenuating circumstances.

Faculty members are expected to appear at SASC reviews of students they sponsor. The student and the sponsor should submit in writing any comments they have that might assist the Committee in its review of the appeal of dismissal. It is important that students scheduled for review meet with their sponsors and relevant instructors prior to the review to discuss the status of incomplete and/or unsatisfactory work.

After reviewing the student’s academic record and talking with the student and sponsor, the committee will take one of the following actions:

1.       Recommend  to the Provost that the student be dismissed from New College;

2.       Set contingencies or conditions for continued enrollment that clearly reflect the committee’s expectations for academic progress.

If there is a disagreement between the student and sponsor regarding an “incomplete” or “unsatisfactory” certification arising from a misunderstanding of the certification criteria, either party may request the SASC to act as a mediating agent. The sponsor, however, is responsible for making the final certification.  Students are free to change sponsors from semester to semester, but once a faculty member has signed a student’s contract, that faculty member remains the student’s sponsor for the entirety of that term.


Students who have withdrawn or have been dismissed from New College may apply for readmission with a readmission petition to the Student Academic Status Committee. For the fall semester, such applications must be made prior to April 1; and for the spring semester, prior to November 1. At least one semester must have elapsed after withdrawal or dismissal before a student will be allowed to resume studies at New College. Readmission is not granted for the January Interterm. The petition, addressed to the chairperson of the SASC and sent to the Office of the Registrar, should include the following information:

1.       The reason for leaving New College.

2.       Activities since leaving, including appropriate transcripts, employment information, etc. (Please note: transfer credit will not be assigned for work completed at another institution during a period of withdrawal or dismissal from New College.)

3.       Reasons for desiring to return to New College, and proposed academic program (with appropriate faculty support).

4.       Requested date of return.

The SASC may set specific academic requirements and restrictions as conditions for readmission.  If a student requests readmission after having completed the fifth contract, the members of the SASC will expect the student to have a completed Thesis Prospectus/Area of Concentration on file with the Office of the Registrar before considering the student’s petition for readmission.

Appealing Academic Eligibility for Financial Aid
Because the requirements for financial aid are stricter than the requirements for the academic program, a student can lose academic eligibility for aid despite permission from the SASC to continue enrollment or to return after withdrawal or leave.  Students should check with financial aid staff to learn whether they are eligible, and to discuss the appeal process if they have lost their eligibility.  Federal and state sources of aid have separate appeal processes, so these appeal processes should be pursued as soon as it is clear that the student may enroll or continue enrollment.

Academic Dishonesty

The New College faculty considers academic dishonesty – cheating and/or plagiarism (presenting the intellectual work of others as one’s own) – to be a serious violation of the community's standards. Academic dishonesty can result in dismissal from New College. If a student is in doubt about what practices are permissible in an examination, he or she should consult the professor prior to sitting for the exam. If a student lacks understanding  of how, in a paper or other presentation,  to distinguish his or her thoughts from those of others, the faculty can refer a student to standard guidelines  and discuss specific questions.

The faculty has adopted the following procedures to be followed when academic dishonesty is suspected or charged:

1.       An apparent violation of academic honesty is handled initially by the instructor, who discusses the incident with the student. The student may request a meeting including her/himself, her or his contract sponsor, and the instructor to discuss the incident further.

2.       If the instructor decides, after the procedures in step (1) above, that further action is warranted, he or she will inform the student that the issue is being forwarded to the New College Provost.

3.       The final disposition of all issues of academic dishonesty rests with the Provost. In reaching a decision, the Provost may request meetings with the student, the instructor, and the contract sponsor individually or jointly. The Provost may also appoint a student-faculty committee for advice prior to rendering a decision in a case. The student may also request of the Provost that such an advisory panel be formed; if that request is made, the student thereby waives her or his right to a formal hearing as provided in Florida Statutes Ch. 120.

4.       If the issue remains open at the end of the semester, the instructor is to give the student an "Incomplete" evaluation (without referring therein to the matter) until the issue is resolved. The Provost's decision in the case is final.

Student Code of Conduct

For the current version of the Student Code of Conduct, please
click here.

Office of the Provost
New College of Florida
5800 Bay Shore Road
Sarasota, Florida  34243

Phone: (941) 487-4200
Fax: (941) 487-4201