Scholarships for Florida Freshmen
Our Scholarship Guarantee
You will receive scholarship funding to attend New College if:
• All of your required admission materials are on file by May 10, 2013.
• You are admitted to New College for Fall 2013 as a first-time-in-college student.
• You are a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident Alien, or eligible non-citizen.
All required materials (including official transcripts, exam scores, and the recommendation) must be postmarked or transmitted on or before the deadline and received by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid no later than 10 days after the deadline.
Four Winds Awards
The following scholarships are awarded based upon your Institutional Rating.
We award these scholarships by calculating your SAT Critical Reading and Math scores, as well as your adjusted high school GPA. (If you took the ACT, use the conversion chart on the left to convert your score).
Use the calculator below to estimate your Institutional Rating and determine the scholarship award amount that may be available to you.
|Scholarship Package ||Scholarship |
|95 & Above|
|Presidential Scholar |
($14,000 over four years)
|92 to 94||Gold Scholar |
($12,000 over four years)
|89 to 91||Silver Scholar||$2,500 |
($10,000 over four years)
|85 to 88||Bronze Scholar||$2,000 |
($8,000 over four years)
|84 & Below||Leadership Award||$1,000 |
($4,000 over four years)
Tuition and scholarship funding amounts are tied to Florida's State University System rules for residency. For more information on residency, contact your admissions counselor.
New College National Scholarship Program
These scholarships are awarded on the basis of standing in the National Merit Scholarship Program, National Achievement Scholarship Program, or National Hispanic Recognition Program.
$4,000 ($16,000 over four years)
For the Excellence Award, you must be one of the following:
• National Achievement® Finalist, and select New College as your first-choice school according to National Merit Scholarship Corporation procedures; or
• National Hispanic Scholar, recognized by the College Board National Hispanic Recognition Program; or
• National Merit® Finalist, and select New College as your first-choice school according to National Merit Scholarship Corporation procedures.
National Scholar Award
$3,500 ($14,000 over four years)
For the National Scholar Award, you must be one of the following:
• National Achievement® Semifinalist or Outstanding Participant, recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation National Achievement Program; or
• National Hispanic Honorable Mention recipient, recognized by the College Board National Hispanic Recognition Program; or
• National Merit® Semifinalist, recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
A New College National Scholarship Program Award replaces the Four Winds Award.
• Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE)
• FEF National Achievers Society
• International Baccalaureate (IB)
• National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science and Technology (NCSSSMST)
• Ventures Scholars
Scholarship Value: $500 ($2,000 over four years)
The Dean of Enrollment Services selects the Affinity Award recipients. You are eligible for consideration if you’re graduating from an AICE or IB Diploma program; are a member of the FEF National Achievers Society or a Ventures Scholar; or are graduating from a member program of the NCSSSMST. If you receive this award, we will add it to your Four Winds Award or Excellence Award.
IB Scholar Awards
Scholarship Value: $2,500 ($10,000 over four years)
We reserve a total of twenty scholarships for IB full Diploma Programme graduates who received the New College Junior Scholar Award in the junior year of high school. New College Junior Scholars are selected by their high schools for exemplifying the shared educational missions of the International Baccalaureate Programme and New College. If you receive this award, we will add it to your Four Winds or New College National Scholarship Program Award, and consider you for an Affinity Award.
Phi Theta Kappa Scholar Awards
Scholarship Value: $1,000 per year
Select dual enrollment students, who are members of Phi Theta Kappa and have a minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.5 (or higher), may be awarded this scholarship. Completion of the AA degree is required. Scholarship eligibility will be based upon the final college transcript(s). If you receive this award, we will add it to your Four Winds or New College National Scholarship Program Award.
State Science & Engineering Fair Awards
Scholarship Value: $2,000 per year
We reserve a total of ten scholarships for students who—in 11th grade—place as Finalists in Florida’s Annual State Science & Engineering Fair. To be eligible for this award, a Finalist must be admitted and enroll at New College of Florida in Fall 2013 with the intent to study mathematics or science. If you receive this award, we will add it to your Four Winds or New College National Scholarship Program Award.
Florida Education Fund Brain Bowl Awards
Scholarship Value: $2,000 per year
We reserve a total of four scholarships, two scholarships for first-place winners and two scholarships for second and third place winners from Sarasota, Manatee, Hillsborough, or Pinellas counties. New College will consider additional scholarship funding for Finalists, Semifinalists, and Outstanding Participants of the National Achievement Scholarship Program."
Need-Based Financial Aid
In addition to an academic scholarship, you could qualify for even more gift assistance if you are a US Citizen, or US Permanent Resident Alien, or qualified non-resident alien. Complete the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible after January 1, 2013. Our school code is 039574. For Maximum Aid Eligibility: complete both your admission application file and your FAFSA by May 10, 2013 for priority consideration for need-based funding.